Friday, January 8, 2010

We are all serious

So terrorism is a serious business. I know it. You know it. We all know it. I know that Obama knows it. But when I watch Obama give a speech or talk about it - I can't tell that he knows it. I basically have to take it on faith. I have to convince myself: "well, of course he takes it seriously, I mean, what kind of person wouldn't?" But it just doesn't register - I don't see it in his tone or mannerisms; it just doesn't seem to register on his emotional radar. Instead I feel like he takes this war and terrorism in general seriously in the manner I take my taxes - or visits to the dentist - seriously.

Unfortunately this doesn't inspire confidence in me. I don't want my Commander in Chief to conduct a war like I fill out my 1040 - with intermittent channel surfing and long sighs of irritation: for the love of the Home Treetm, when will this be over?

This could entirely be a matter of political grooming but you'd have a hard time convincing many people that Bush had more "polishing" than Obama. If there's any word that can be used to describe Obama it's polished. I hope that this is the case and that Obama really does take these wars and national security as deadly serious as Bush made me believe he did. 

Compare these comments by Bush back in 2006 recently reposted at the Foundry with those made by Obama over the past week:



See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment